Pages

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Privilege

I stood behind one man, as he chatted with the volunteers behind the desk. I briefly reviewed the layout I would see in the booth. I'm always worried I'll get in there and not know where my people are. That was not the case though. I pulled the curtain closed behind me and took a deep breath. I carefully took hold of the lever and closed my eyes. I'm not the praying sort, but I took a moment to reflect on the importance of this action. I'd been waiting 8 long years for this moment. Then I pulled the lever for president of the United States of America. I made my other choices and stepped back. I just wasn't ready to leave yet. I took it all in and then carefully pulled the handle to open the curtain. It was over too soon.

4 comments:

Smellyann said...

Brava!!

Electronic Goose said...

It was a powerful moment indeed.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

That's how I always used to feel. The system here is different and more deliberate. But somehow a bit less satisfying. There is no big level to pull at the end.

Congrats!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

So important.!!

Glad we get the opportunity, however it's done.