Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Short Hike up Rocky Mt

Yesterday we took a drive up to Old Forge with hopes of doing some snowshoeing. Unfortunately the snow depth was not sufficient. So the snowshoes stayed in the truck while we bare-booted it up Rocky Mountain. It is a short (1 mile round trip), easy hike with broad views from the summit. We've both climbed it before, although this was my first ascent in winter.

I had my new trekking poles (a Christmas gift from my dad and step-mom), which came in handy with the snow and ice-covered rocks. I've never used microspikes before, but I could imagine they would have made things even easier. I might have to put those on my wishlist next Christmas...

It was an unusually mild day with temperatures above freezing at the trailhead. There was absolutely no wind until we reached the summit, where it was misting and blowing pretty hard.

This is no High Peak, but it is a fun little jaunt.

Looking down on Fourth Lake from the summit of Rocky Mountain

views from the summit

new trekking poles

heading back down into the woods

3 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Lovely views, wish I could have been there. Unfortunately, my fibro has been VERY bad lately--just walking is difficult enough.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I used to love winter hiking. Did a fair bit of it.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Sorry to hear your fibro has been extra bad lately.

I think I might enjoy winter hiking if it was always in the lower 30s. Ha!