Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

First Snowmobiling Outing

Sunday morning I finally felt well enough to go for a ride on our new (used) snowmobile. We drove to the same town park adjacent to the Erie Canal that my husband had ridden from the day before with his friends. Since it was my first outing, he wanted to stay on trails he was familiar with to ensure it went as smoothly as possible.

The first four miles we covered were miles I knew very well. I walk them regularly during the summer months, so it was fun to watch the familiar scenery fly by. We continued along the Erie Canal on a section I've never walked (note to self: walk this!) before turning onto a road to cross a bridge over the NYS Thruway to enter woods and fields on private land.

In the last few days I've learned a little about the sledding culture, but I'm sure I've still got a lot to learn. I had no idea there were official, maintained snowmobile trails (which is what we rode on for the entire two hours we were out). I also had no idea that joining a regional club got you a discount on your sled registration.

My husband is having a new seat made, which will hopefully give us a few more inches and allow for a bit more comfort on our next ride. This sled could be the trick to making winter more tolerable. Fingers crossed!




2 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I used to love snowmobiling when I was younger with my friend and then boyfriend, Chris Burnett in the Berkshires! Fun! We would go out on all day trips, bring hot chocolate and hot food in a thermos. What a riot!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

(I know a little about snowmobile culture as it was then. I know about trails and clubs, but it's been YEARS!)