Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Weekending

This weekend was for...

...old friends and new. Recently an old friend from college found me through Fitbit. He and I had lost touch, as he is one of those rare people who refuses to join Facebook. It had been as much as 15 years since we last saw each other (I was still living in Florida!). He and his wife came to town this weekend to celebrate their 5th anniversary by attending a lacrosse game at the university. On Friday night we met them downtown for dinner and drinks. Eventually we were joined by another classmate who I had not seen since graduation. It was really great to see them and catch up. It was also lovely to meet my friend's delightful wife. I hope we can manage to get together somewhat more frequently now that we've reconnected!

...volunteering. My sister's company participated in a clean up effort of the downtown area where they have their office. I joined her and my nephew to help pick up trash. With so many volunteers on the job, we really had to search hard to find anything to pick up besides cigarette butts. We finally made our way towards the highway where we were able to find the usual assortment of discarded beer bottles and drug paraphernalia. We were given t-shirts and free lunch for our efforts, but by far the best part was my nephews enthusiasm for the task. He was so proud of his new shirt!

...dining with friends. Saturday night we went out to dinner with another couple, the woman who performed our wedding ceremony and her husband. We talked about boats, dogs, yoga, green smoothies, and lots more. They are such genuinely good people and always leave me feeling refreshed and somehow lifted up.

...being outside. We spent hours outside on Saturday picking up trash, eating lunch on an outdoor patio, and walking to get ice cream after. Sunday was even warmer. I walked for almost an hour in my neighborhood and spent a couple hours sitting on the front steps reading Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry. I wore shorts! It was fantastic (less fantastic is the snow that will be falling later today, ugh). I definitely have spring (summer) fever.

Picking up trash with my nephew.
Linking up with Amanda.

3 comments:

karen said...

Not looking forward to possible snow either. How nice that you volunteered to make the world a cleaner place! The litter around our country roads has increased and I wonder why. Free t shirt sounds like a great reward :)

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Sounds like a good and satisfying weekend. Wish I could been along on the trash pick-up. Trash bits are social animals and like geese calling to other geese, they tend to collect friends. Areas that are kept clean tend to stay cleaner and areas allowed to get messy just get messier and messier. It's an important job.

And the sun is important, too!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend doing good for your community and spent in good company!