Pages

Friday, January 26, 2007

Kicking Myself Now

A while back, possibly in November, I was contacted by someone that I work with to see if I would be interested in a position that would be vacant soon. I took a pre-meeting interview with the director and liked what I was hearing. I put in an application, but after some reflection I withdrew it before my interview. I felt that having only been in my current position just over a year I owed it to them to stick it out through the busy season. Plus, this new job was the same grade, so I figured what would I gain by a lateral move right at the holidays when I was in the midst of renovating and buying the house.

Live and learn, as they say. Apparently, as I found out today, grades mean nothing when it comes to pay rates (why, oh why, do they have them then?). This job, that I declined an interview for, the job which I was sought out for, would have easily been a $10,000 to $15,000 increase from my current salary.

Hearing that tidbit this morning put me in a bit of a funk. I know there's nothing to be done now, spilled milk and all, so hopefully the next time an opportunity presents itself, I will be more ambitious. How in the heck was I supposed to know though? Really?

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh, girl, that's some rough information to have. Just focus on your new house, until the pain blows over. I try to think of nothing as unlucky or lucky until I see it all play out. You never know.

BerryBird said...

Oh, that does smart! Just for the future, you don't owe anybody anything: except yourself, of course. You can only do what's best for you. I sure you would have proceded differently with that choice tidbit of knowledge, but you know what they say about hindsight, right? It's a real bitch.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Nicole and Sara. It could be a blessing in disguise at some point. And at least it's a lesson learned.

By the way, it's exciting to hear about your new house. My husband and I close on our new house in about a month and I can't wait to move in!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

It is upsetting, but you know that Zen story about what appears to be blessings that turn out to be bad and vice versa, wish I could remember it--I agree with Nicole. It is upsetting though. I guess you could have asked? (Dunno).

3rd attmpt to comment (blogger turdliness)