Pages

Monday, May 26, 2014

Hiking Bald Mountain

Last Sunday my sister, her 3.5 year old son, and I drove up to the Old Forge area to hike Bald Mountain. It is 2 miles round trip and has a fire tower (Rondaxe Fire Tower) on the summit, making it one of the most popular hikes in the area.

Both my sister and I had hiked it before, so the focus of this particular hike was on my nephew. It seemed like a great little mountain for him. We'd hoped to time the hike to miss the black flies, but although neither of us had encountered any at home yet, as soon as we got out of the car we quickly realized they were already out. We were swarmed on most of the hike, but they weren't really biting (I got only 3 bites, which is practically nothing considering the amount of time we were on the trail and the numbers of black flies in evidence). The boy climbed up and down the entire mountain and the fire tower on his own two feet.

I consider it to have been a successful and FUN outing. And now it's really got me hankering for a serious High Peak hike.



Painted Trillium


1 comment:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Lovely lovely! Wish I could ahve been there!!! Haven't seen any painted trilliums yet. (So I probably will not)