Pages

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The early bird gets the worm.

Or, in this case, the textbook.

Don't you know when I dash into the bookstore on my way to class to pick up the book from which I have a reading due for tomorrow, they are sold out.

Helpful Clerk: "Uh, I guess there must be more people in the class than he expected."

Me: Some sort of sneer that doesn't cross the line into unfriendly.

HC: "I can order you a copy, but it might not get here until Friday. Is that OK?"

Me: "Well, that's better than no day." I like to revert to sarcasm occasionally. Now it was his turn to make suspicious facial expressions.

Fortunately there are advantages to being an older and more experienced grad student. When I got to tonight's class it was less than a minute before I had a virtual stranger lend me his copy. As an undergrad in a classroom of people I didn't know, I never would have been so daring.

And now I must go read my borrowed book.

8 comments:

BerryBird said...

Ha! Way to bully the book from the hapless undergrad.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Perhaps I phrased that poorly, but I meant to compare me now to me as an undergrad, and how I never would've been outgoing enough to borrow a stranger's book. There are definitely no undergrads in this class (or any that I am taking).

Dang it! I'm supposed to be reading, not blogging!

Anonymous said...

How many classes are you taking? I can't decide if I wish I was in class this semester or if I'm glad I have an excuse not to be...

a/k/a Nadine said...

3 classes for a total of 9 credits. Two of the classes require a minimum of 25 hours of classroom observation each. That should provide some fodder for blogging... If I can find the time!

Anonymous said...

AND you're working full time? Go you. :)

Coffeypot said...

All students are in the same boat; under the total dominance of a sadomasochist instructor along with the tension and pressure of time limits. So don’t be surprised if an understanding fellow inmate relates to your situation and helps you out. I found out that most classmates will help you out with anything (except copying work). All I had to do was sit there and cry. Crying in class is a good ice breaker, too.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Aiee4e, not off to an auspicious start, hope the book comes in tomorrow!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

get to work!