Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Enough Snow!

Seriously. Enough already with the snow. In the past few days I've shoveled the driveway, had it plowed, had the neighbor across the street volunteer to snowblow it for me (thank you!!!), and had FF do it another time.

Which brings us to Sunday night when FF was snowblowing. I was at the bottom of the driveway waiting for him to finish his pass so I could run by up to the house. The snowblower stopped throwing snow and, as I've seen him do a thousand times, FF moved around the machine and reached into the arm. From where I was standing I could see the blades were still turning. Time moved into slow motion and in that moment I knew something awful was about to happen. Then he was screaming and I was running. I counted five fingers still attached, wrapped the bleeding hand in a clean towel, and we took off for the ER. He ended up with 8 stitches and a fractured finger tip. It could have been much, much worse.

I know, and he knows, that what he did wasn't the smartest thing, but if one more person tells me how stupid he was, I will scream. I feel guilty because it was my driveway and my snowblower. He can't work for a minimum of three weeks! I have to say that I stayed calm and never freaked out. I'm kinda proud of that.

7 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Good job staying calm!

I hope FF recovers QUICKLY and isn't in to much pain. Give him my regards and best wishes!

Momma Val said...

OMG, OMG, OMG! Thank God he is alright and his hand is still in one piece. How scary!!! Is FF your father or your fiance? Sorry, I Googled with no luck. Maybe it will make you feel better to know that my cookie dough scoop broke and in a desperate attempt to fix it, a giant metal part flung backwards with such force that it split my thumbnail in two (vertically) and ripped my thumbnail back off my finger (horizontally). I know, nowhere near what your FF experienced but sometimes it feels good to hear about other people's injuries when you in fact injure yourself? Hope he heals quickly. Yikes, I'm still wincing. Ouch!!!

a/k/a Nadine said...

Yikes, Val! That sounds pretty awful. I hope it heals quickly.

FF = Former Fiance, who is still a good friend. He may have permanently lost sensation in the tip of his finger as well. I just learned this detail. :-(

Smellyann said...

Oh, God. I almost fainted reading that. Did I ever tell you about the time Mindy's (my oldest ex-stepsister) then-bf cut his thumb off, snowblowing our driveway? I almost warned you about that when you mentioned the blower yesterday. I hope ff heals quickly and gets full sensation back. In the meantime, stay away from that thing!

Stacy said...

Goodness - glad he is ok - we've had our fair share of hand injuries this year - they aren't fun!

I would rather have snow than the ice we keep getting here in Indy. Blah!

a/k/a Nadine said...

Eew, Smellyann, I don't remember that story. Scary!

Stacy, I was thinking of you and Matt when we we're in the ER.

Electronic Goose said...

Oh my god, that's scary. Thank heavens you were there to help and calm you both down and he's alright. A speedy recovery to him. Yikes! I can't imagine how scary that must have been to watch.