Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Spontaneous, me?

Spontaneous or even fun are not words that can normally be used to describe me. I'm usually pretty serious, sarcastic, and predictable (stuck in my ways?). All of that changed, at least for one night, this past week.

Less than 24 hours before the concert in question an old friend called with an extra ticket. I hadn't seen him in years, and I hadn't gone to a show with him since 1996. I called my boss and begged off work. At the show I rediscovered music I've loved for almost half of my life. I also was reminded that I can have great fun if I just let myself (even while completely sober!). It was also amazing how comfortable I felt with him after all these years. I am far from easy-going and unfamiliar people and settings tend to make me feel tense, but there was none of that on this night.

It was, by far, the most fun and best time I've had in a long, long time.

2 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

YAY! I'm in favor of having fun!!!!

I deeply approve of fun in a balanced and appropriate way--a life of nothing but "fun" is rather meaningless and insipid, but fun balanced with meaningful work and learning and growth, I'm all for it!

I hope you have LOTS more of it!!!!!!

Lots of fun, lots of music, lots of joy!

BerryBird said...

I'm so glad your old friend called out of the blue like that, and frankly a bit jealous. I keep going to look at those set lists and feeling a little swoony.