Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2018

50 Things About ME: Now with Updates

Since I first posted this more than 10 years ago, I thought it might be fun to redo it and make changes to make it more current and up-to-date. Changes will be added in red.

1. I do not like ice in my beverages. I prefer most at room temperature or just slightly cool. (I think I should've been born in Europe because I also don't like air conditioning. Or foods served at extreme temperatures.)

2. I do not like lemon in my water. Gak. And no, I can't just pick it out.

3. I have lived in 3 states: NY, MA, & FL.

4. I always wanted freckles. I threaten to steal my little step-brother's all the time.

5. I love Anne of Green Gables (freckles!) and believe in kindred spirits and the depths of despair.

6. I've been inside my "house of dreams" but couldn't afford it at the time.

7. I think everyone should drive Smart Cars. The world would be safer and happier. And cuter. But since that will never happen I would actually like a bigger car. More room and safer. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

8. I've only climbed 3 of the 46 High Peaks in the Adirondacks. I dream of one day being a 46er, but every summer passes without me doing anything about it. I've now climbed 21 of the High Peaks but have had to take a few years off while pregnant and mothering a young child. This is still most definitely a life goal of mine.

9. I love good sushi, especially the Dynamite roll I used to get at the Beach in FL. Kinda over sushi now. I never eat it anymore.

10. I never had a curfew growing up.

11. I never got grounded either.

12. My first car was a Renault. The heat was broken on, the window cranks had no knobs, the speedometer was broken, and the doors didn't lock, but I loved it.

13. I crochet scarves and blankets. I don't crochet anymore.

14. I want to be a mom. I AM a mom.

15. In fact, I actually look forward to pregnancy itself. I HATED being pregnant. 

16. I am not career driven. Ideally, I would like to be a stay-at-home-mom. But since we are not independently wealthy, that will never happen. As a single mom, this dream is dead.

17. My hair is beyond straight and baby fine. I am constantly considering getting a body wave like I had in middle school, but people are always talking me out of it. I don't care about my hair anymore. If it's clean occasionally that's good enough.

18. I love soynut butter.

19. If given a choice, I would almost always chose to have tofu in a dish rather than meat (i.e. in Thai or Chinese).

20. I had my first paid job as a camp naturalist (counselor) at the age of 17. I'd volunteered for 40 hours a week for at least the two summers prior to that at the same educational day camp.

21. I worked as an IMAX projectionist, retail assistant manager, and naturalist before getting into my current career as an office lady.

22. The thumb on my left hand is double-jointed. So are my hips.

23. I can still put my feet behind my head if I try. I haven't tried this recently, but I suspect I would still be able to.

24. I have 4 piercings: both ear lobes, belly button, and tragus. I took the belly button out when pregnant, so that's down to 3.

25. I have one tattoo: a star on the top of my right foot. I have two tattoos now. The second is a quote on the left side of my ribcage.

26. I have a Darwin's Tubercle on my left ear.

27. I am a very light sleeper.

28. I took 5 1/2 years of French in high school and regret having not kept up with it since then.

28. I am extremely sensitive to caffeine and try never to drink any after noon. Thanks, Dad, for passing that trait on.

29. The fact that I don't have clear skin has been a huge issue for me and my self-esteem. I wish I had not been told that I would outgrow my pimples after I left my teen years behind. What a lie and a let down.

30. I am a jeans and sweatshirt kinda gal. Unless I'm home. Then I'm a sweatpants and no bra kinda woman.

31. I collect postcards.

32. My best first kiss story was the time Christian and I went to the dump in Long Lake to look for bears.

33. I have been donating blood since high school. I've recently been turned off by the American Red Cross because they call me at all hours. Sunday, 9pm. That does not put me in a giving mood.

34. I am a bit of a control freak and tend towards the obsessive.

35. I am, however, not neat and clean when it comes to keeping house.

36. I do not like beer. Or most liquor.

37. I enjoy classical music and opera.

38. I was sweet sixteen and never been kissed. (I do not count the kindergarten boyfriend's kisses, you see.)

39. I have a wicked sweet tooth.

40. Bungalows are my favorite style of houses. Now I would prefer anything one level with laundry on the main floor.

41. I like simple, clutter-free decor. Preferably country or farm-style. And yet, my house is one big fat clutter.

42. I am allergic to dust, mold, and some pollen. Aren't we all?

43. Both of my eyes are -4.25. I wear contacts whenever possible. I have no idea what my prescription is currently. My eyes have improved and are now -3 something and no longer the same in both eyes. I only wear glasses now.

44. The first concert I went to was PHISH, New Year's Eve '93 in Worcester MA. What an experience.

45. I am a dog person. I do not believe that cats are designed for indoor use. I am a guinea pig person now.

46. I like taking snapshots of people I know. I like taking pictures of my son.

47. I have excellent short-term memory and awful long-term memory. I excelled at classes that involved memorization, like French and dendrology.

48. I started watching Star Trek: TNG because I thought Ensign Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton) was cute. I liked Voyager quite a bit, but never got into DS9 because of the Ferengi. Yuck.

49. I have a weakness for shoes and purses. I don't buy purses anymore.

50. I love pasta and bread and all things starch.

1 comment:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Interesting, and it would be interesting to update this every ten years. You could add ten new things each ten years, too, if you could think of ten new things. (or even one.)

50 things about me:

I like to write poetry. We had a poetry reading tonight with 15 poets and 15 artists and it was really fun and interesting to me--I thought it was a great program. I read three poems which were put in a book. I like to paint. I wish I could still climb mountains. I wish there were hundreds of hours in every day and that I never got tired. I wish I could sleep better. I met a pretty young women named Jesse or maybe Jessie from Vermont. We had a nice talk. I like to meet interesting people. I like to read. I like solitude. I like companionship. I like things that smell good. My husband smells good--to me. (TMI). I am worried about Scott. I miss my grandchildren I wish I lived closer to them. I believe in a dynamic balance. But believing is easier than achieving. There are a few things I would do over differently if I could,I'd like to plan a camping trip with my family. We would need to pick a time and place. I am not interested in most games any more, even though I liked games with I was a kid. I might play a game with kid if they played reasonably fairly. I would prefer reading to them though.