- make sure all of your windows are closed and locked
- make sure all of your doors are locked
- take the window AC unit out of the window
- do not leave car keys in plain sight
- set a light on a timer
- tell your neighbors you'll be out of town
- leave your contact information in case of an emergency
I know some of you are thinking, you must be kidding, who wouldn't know all of this already? But there are still some very trusting (naive?) people in this world. People that are old-fashioned perhaps. People that will probably not make these same mistakes again.
It could've been much worse. The car was not stolen. Nothing was damaged. We won't know the extent of what was taken until my parents return.
But it was scary and invasive and nerve-wracking. It makes me want to rethink some of my habits at my own home.
It makes me sad that there are so many bad people in the world. Or people that would do such bad things. I really hope their fingerprints are on file.