Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Visiting Pittsburgh

Our hotel was near the University of Pittsburgh, so on Friday afternoon we walked around and checked out some of the cool buildings on and near their campus.

Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum

Heinz Memorial Chapel
I am always drawn towards doors. The older and more ornate the better.

Stephen Foster Memorial
Log Cabin
We stopped for an early dinner at Primanti Brothers before the Pearl Jam concert. In case you haven't eaten there before (this was our first visit), all sandwiches come topped with french fries, cole slaw, and tomatoes. I ordered the Cheese Combo, but to be honest I was not a fan. My husband really enjoyed his sandwich (hot sausage), but I was unimpressed with mine. I could not taste the cheese at all and the coleslaw was just oily cabbage. So it tasted like an oily cabbage and slightly burnt french fry sandwich. I will not be anxious to eat there again.


On Saturday morning as we walked to the Phipps Conservatory we encountered these crazy padlocks. We had no idea what they were all about until my husband googled them. As it turns out lovers go to the bridge together, hook their lock on to the chain link, and then toss the key into the gorge below to ensure ever-lasting love. It is sweet and has created a cool street art installation.

Love Locks on Schenley Park Bridge
I will share photos from our visit to the Conservatory later this week. You can read about the Pearl Jam concert here, which was the reason we were in Pittsburgh.

4 comments:

jo(e) said...

I've seen a bridge with lovelocks before -- but I think it was in Paris. I didn't know there were any places in this country where couples did that.

a/k/a Nadine said...

I read that the trend in the US started only a few years ago in imitation of European love locks in Paris, Rome, Venice, etc. Apparently the locks are removed from some bridges in the US, including the Brooklyn Bridge.

Amanda said...

I found a single lock on an old metal fence just before the bridge in Bolton Landing to Green Island. They are just endlessly romantic.

That red door is amazing!

a/k/a Nadine said...

Now that I'm aware of this tradition I will have to keep an eye out when crossing bridges in the future. It will be fun to see if I can find more in other locations!