Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tears of Joy

Four of us group around a computer watching the start of the ceremonies. I can't commit to pulling up a chair, as I have to leave soon for class. I hurry to the kitchen for a sandwich, passing another computer tuned to the main event. I return and watch more, then hurry to the bathroom. The office is a ghost town, with more than half of the staff leaving in search of TVs. Outside of my suite I can still hear the coverage faintly, coming from other offices and the janitors closet. Back in my office I take another minute or two to watch the computer screen with my co-workers. As usual, things proceed slower than scheduled and I must give up. I turn up the radio in my office as I jam things in my backpack. It is as I am pulling on my snow boots that he takes the oath of office. I pull on my down jacket and wipe tears from my eyes.

Tears of joy.

Tears of relief.

Tears of hope.

4 comments:

Smellyann said...

Awesome.

Awesome.

Awesome!

Electronic Goose said...

Yes!! I cried along with you.

Coffeypot said...

I had tears just because he won. I fear for the country.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Boy I am with you, girl! I have hope again, finally.

(I'm way behind, but MUST got to bed!