Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Low Maintenance

This was originally posted on June 24, 2012 on Cowbird when I was trying that website on for size. I found we didn't make a good match and only posted a handful of "stories" there. I may share more of them here. Or not.

********************************

We sat around the hotel room, killing time before the start of the wedding ceremony. My fiancé attempted a nap in the one upholstered chair, while his father lay on the bed. I sat in the desk chair halfheartedly reading tweets on my Smartphone and providing occasional feedback to my future mother-in-law as she got ready. She curled her hair and applied make-up after we decided on the best shade of eye shadow to coordinate with her dress. When she was finally done in the bathroom her husband indicated it was now my turn.

I glanced at the clock. It was well before I would’ve started to get ready on my own, but I shrugged and stood up. My fiancé snorted, and as I walked towards the bathroom I heard him tell his dad to watch the clock.

In the bathroom I shed my tank top and shorts, slipped the purple and black dress over my head, and tugged it into place. Then I picked up my clothes and exited the bathroom.

“Told you,” my fiancé said to his dad, who stared at me.

“You’re done?” He asked, astonished. I just smiled and slipped my feet into my heels.

No comments: