I've made the transition from thinking the snow is pretty and Christmas-y to just thinking winter sucks and being cold is miserable. This happens every year with the first dip in temperature after Christmas.
So in an attempt to focus on the good things in my life, here are five things I am grateful for today:
1. Sunshine. Although I was inside and couldn't absorb any benefits from the sunlight, I did glimpse blue sky out the window. I can't remember the last time I saw the sun. Welcome to winter in Central New York.
2. My cozy house and the heat it provides. No, the house is not my "house of dreams" and no, it doesn't even have central heat, but it is MY house. A house with a roof and walls and two full baths. Something many people the world over can only dream of.
3. New windows/doors downstairs. My husband has replaced the windows and doors on the main floor (living room, kitchen, and dining room), which has vastly improved the comfort level in the winter. NO drafts! I can't wait until he replaces the bedroom windows upstairs (next summer).
4. Chocolate. Particularly seashell-shaped Belgian chocolate truffles. My dad and step-mom used to give each of us girls a big box for Christmas, but they have cut back to small boxes the last two years. To compensate, my sister gave me one of the big boxes at our second celebration. She absolutely, totally rocks. I'm trying to ration them out in reasonable portions. It's harder than you'd think.
5. Stack of new books. Both my sister and my mom gifted me books for Christmas and it pleases me immensely to see the stack waiting for me to devour. It's always good to have something to look forward to.
What are you grateful for today?