Pages

Friday, October 20, 2006

What might have been

I have a tendency to dwell on things past. As a result, I've been thinking about the way my life could've turned out had some of the decisions I've made been different.

~ I might've received my bachelor's degree from Boston University in Marine Biology.

~ I might've stayed with the field of Environmental Interpretation and be working at some really cool park or nature center.

~ I might be living in Florida and not be dreading the coming winter.

~ I might be a Navy wife living in California.

~ I might be a nurse working at a local hospital.

Intellectually, I know that it does me no good to dwell on the past, but at the same time I can't help but think reflecting on some of the decisions I've made could help me better weigh my options when presented with my next life-changing moment.

3 comments:

BerryBird said...

Just to play devil's advocate...

1) You'd still be dreading winter, even if you were in Florida. "Winter" would just mean something entirely different to you.

2) If you had made different choices that led you to one of those might-have-beens, my guess is you'd be doing the same exact thing: thinking and wondering about the path not chosen. Perfectly natural.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Hey! I'm not saying that I necessarily wish I'd made different decisions. I'm just saying I think it's interesting to consider the different paths your life could've taken. The spectrum alone is noteworthy, and would only be more so as you get older.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

It is interesting to speculate (as long as you don't dwell overly much on it). Fun, too. Definitely interesting. You could write a story based on your speculation as to what might have happened in your life had you followed each of those possibilities in another direction.

Also, if there is something you wish you'd done differently, it is still possible in some instances to go back. You possibly could take nursing courses, for example. I hope you don't regret that decision too much!