Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Earth Day (delayed)

In honor of Earth Day, a local theater showed Al Gore's documentary, An Inconvenient Truth,on behalf of Second Home Nature Center. It was the first time I'd seen the award winning film. I found it thought-provoking, depressing, and absolutely essential.

I'm not at all interested in having a political debate. It's not my thing. I am, however, interested in seeing humans lessen the negative impact we are having on this earth. I think the film should be incorporated into the standard curriculum of a high school class like PIG (Participation in Government).

I do what I can. I know I could do more. I recycle. I use some compact fluorescent light bulbs in place of regular incandescents. I plan on buying more. I do most of my laundry in cold water. I only do full loads of laundry and dishes. I buy organic foods when I can.

Unfortunately, being an environmentalist is easier if you are wealthy. I would love to buy more organic foods and drive a hybrid vehicle, but I simply can't afford it. But I do what I can and hope others do too!

1 comment:

BerryBird said...

I looked at a Prius when I was car shopping in 2005, I drooled all over it in fact. But the bottom line is that it cost more than twice as much as the new car I bought instead. I am not happy with the mileage I get, but that's a lot of cash for someone with my income. Sigh.

That movie should be required viewing for all.