Pages

Sunday, November 03, 2013

The Bog Trail in November

On Saturday morning I met my sister and her son at Second Home Nature Center. The weather was a little touch and go: temperatures in the upper 40s with occasional sprinkles. No matter, we're almost always up for a romp in the woods. Or, as the case may be, a stroll through the bog.


For whatever reason I just cannot figure out how to dress for a walk that involves my nephew (he will be 3 years old next week). I am so used to dressing for outdoor activities that require effort. My motto has always been if you're cold, you're not walking fast enough. However, this just doesn't work with a toddler. So the last two weekends I've come home from our walks frozen solid. Please, next time, someone remind me to wear more layers!

The breeze off the lake didn't help with my lack of layers. I'm also a big fan of "there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothes."


My nephew had a great time throwing rocks into the lake, picking up sticks and leaves, reading signs, and playing with using the telescope.



Even though the weather was a tad gloomy, beauty can be found at the nature center year round. All you have to do is look in any direction, any day.

witch hazel
the tamaracks pop with their yellow-green color
You can read about my October walk at Second Home Nature Center here and see pictures from a walk on the bog trail in August here.

3 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

YAY! How fun! Wish I were there! Sounds like my kind of fun!

a/k/a Nadine said...

It was. We will have to make time for a walk or two on your upcoming visit!

Bronwyn said...

I love walking. I wish we had more places here to do it! That's the problem with the prairies. I love that you take your nephew with you. He will grow up with such a love of nature!