Pages

Friday, November 01, 2013

Goals: October & November

First, let's see how I did with my goals for October...

1. Continue to meet &/or surpass 10,000 steps a dayCheck! According to Fitbit, I averaged 10,548 steps per day in the month of October.

2. Finish 5 books. Nope. I read 4.5 books. The last one which I am still slogging away at is pretty boring. I may abandon it altogether. 

3. Continue to post to this blog 2-3 times a week. Check! I posted 15 times in the month of October.

4. Use arm weights 4 or more times a week. Nope. I used them 3 or 4 times at the start of the month and then... nothing. Oh well.

5. Hike at least once at Great Bear Farms and walk at least once at Beaver Lake Nature Center. Check! See here and here. Plus, a bonus walk here.

6. Take one load of clothes to the Salvation Army. Check! See here.


So not bad, other than dropping the ball on the arm weights. Now on to November... Initially I had decided I wasn't going to define any goals for November because I want LESS stress in my life and striving to meet these goals feels a bit like homework. But now I've decided to just pare them down to a more manageable list, especially considering the holidays are approaching rapidly.

1. Continue to meet &/or surpass 10,000 steps a day. Always. This will become more challenging with the weather conditions, but I have to figure out a way to get it done.

2. Finish 4 books. I'm scaling this back for the reasons mentioned above and for the reason to be mentioned below in #3.
     2a. Two of the four books should be YA. Because I want to read more YA. 

3. Participate in NaNoWriMo. The goal is to write 50,000 words during the month of November. While that would be swell, my personal goal is to write anything. I'm serious. I haven't written ANY kind of fiction in years, so I want to use this event as a kick in the pants to just do it. To not aim for perfection. To just get words on the page. Move the story forward. Worry about the rest later.

4. Post 2 times per week on this blog. I don't want to let this slide, even with NaNoWriMo in progress.

5. Walk/hike somewhere in nature twice. Get out of the neighborhood and ideally on trails that are not paved.

I have some other balls in the air and thoughts in my head, but I'm going to leave it at 5 "official" goals. How many and what kinds of goals will you be working on?

5 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

You could post yr NaNoWriMo writing to yr blog?

Good goals, I should do this too--no time. AK I need to make time.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

OK, OK, I'll make a point of it. (Maybe)

a/k/a Nadine said...

I don't plan on sharing my NaNoWriMo on the blog. It will be hard enough for me to do the actual writing, so I don't want any added pressure from sharing it prematurely.

Writing doesn't come as easily to me as it does to you! :-) I wish it did!

BerryBird said...

Three to four times a week for the free weights was just too ambitious for just getting started! To set yourself up for success (and the associated health benefits) ease into it more slowly and make the goal monthly, not weekly. So for December, you could make it a goal to use them a total of 10 times, then if that is a success, try for 12 in January.

By making the goal monthly instead of weekly, you have the opportunity to catch up towards the end of the month, as needed. Plus it's easier to keep track of, 1/10, 2/10, etc.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Thanks for the suggestion, BerryBird. That is good advice!