Pages

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Windows

I know some of you have been anxiously awaiting a return to the home improvement-oriented posts. Don't worry, there is still plenty to be done around the house. I was just taking a (much deserved) break.

Today while my fiance was off shoveling snow from a roof, I decided it was time to be productive again. I applied the second coat of paint to the trim around the window in the smallest bedroom. That leaves only one more window to be painted (in the kitchen). I still have to do the baseboard trim in the bathroom and the smallest bedroom (ugh, I should probably be doing that right now).

After I finished painting the window frame, I went shopping for curtains and hardware. We've been living in a fishbowl for over a month and while I like the look of naked windows, come summertime I will not want to be visible to the masses out enjoying the fine weather. Plus, the windows in this house are of a very poor quality, so I've been hunting for insulated or lined curtains to help cut down on drafts. I had no idea how not fun curtain shopping really is. I ended up with the hardware for three windows and curtains for one.

Won't my fiance be thrilled to get out his tools after a hard day of shoveling? 

4 comments:

BerryBird said...

What color are the curtains? Did you find insulated ones with tabs? I was thinking that might be harder than it sounds because those poofy valences or whatever they are called might actually help reduce drafts.

Poor Mark. He must be exhausted. Shoveling roofs does not sound fun.

a/k/a Nadine said...

No, he is not having fun with the roofs, but money is a strong motivator (occasionally).

The curtains are very plain (as am I): dark brown but not tab tops. They are black out curtains and are supposed to help with saving energy. We shall see.

Nicole said...

Aww, Erin, you always crack me up. I look forward to hearing about what you come up with for insulated curtains. I have an awful time finding them, so fill us in when you do.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Good luck insulating your windows! Hope they can be warm and pretty too, somehow.