Pages

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Wish Lists

When I was a teenager, I used to make wish lists. They consisted of items that I hoped to accomplish at some point in my life. Last night, while hunting in an old diary for a letter written by the old friend that has recently found me again, I happened upon two of the lists I'd written in the early 90s.

On March 30, 1992 I wrote a list of 25 items. Running though them, I see that I can check 12 of them off as done. Some of them are rather objective: to go to a "good" college, to get a "good" job, and to have "fun" at college (clearly, I was a big fan of quotes). Then there are the ones that fall along a very specific time line: to get my driver's licence before the age of 18 and to graduate from high school in the top 20. Others are more obscure: to have a boyfriend, to fall in love, to meet someone famous.

One of my favorite ones is to get a bikini, wear it, and feel good about it. I'm checking that one off. I also get to check off to ride in a stretched white limo, something I have done only once on National Guinness Day when my roommate and I weaseled our way into the entourage of some radio station promoters.

Just about the only one that I will never be able to achieve was my wish to not be "sweet sixteen." Nothing I can do about the fact no one wanted to kiss me back then.

Some of the wishes I can still work on are to go scuba diving, to go on a cruise, and to travel.

I wouldn't be able to write one of these lists now. The unflagging optimism of youth is long gone. But it is still fun to read through them and try to remember what it felt like to be that girl.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I had a wish book when I was a teenager, I wonder where it went to. I think I may be sorely disappointed to see it and realize I don't have much to check off. Maybe I should start a new wish list.

BerryBird said...

Like Nicole, I would be scared of finding too many undone items. Like I know I had climb all 46 Adirondack High Peaks on one of those lists somewhere. And what is my progress? Eight! Pretty lame, Millhouse, pretty lame.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Better than my three, BerryBird. Talk about lame!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I still make lists like that sometimes. LOL!

I had the 46 peaks on mine and I got to 39. But I will prolly never get the rest unless a miracle clears up my fibromyalgia (and is there a miracle for old age?)

I used to make one of those lists every year on January 1, along with my resolutions. If I have time and energy, I might dig one out sometime, just for laughs.

I didn't do one this year, resolutions either--too sick. Too depressed.

My current wish list, if I had one, would include getting some of my novels finished and published and publishing my poetry manuscript from VC.

Going to Europe used to be on my list and I did do that. Now I want to do it again and expand it a little.