Pages

Thursday, August 09, 2007

I actually did something!

Here's what I got done last night:

  • two shelves of books (not organized but out of the box at least)
  • which emptied one box completely and part of a second
  • put clothes in 5 drawers in the dresser
  • which had previously been stacked on the bookshelf
  • FF gave the cat room a thorough vacuuming
  • and I brought one unopened, brand-new tooth brush to work with me to leave as a grab item in our break room (it is not a style I would ever use and was a freebie from the dentist- must learn to say "no, thank you")

My parents did not end up bringing my stuff last night, but they warned me that there is a lot of it. Fabulous.

No construction work was done yesterday except for the delivery of sheetrock, which was conveniently stacked blocking the stairs to my basement. Uh, thanks guys. I really hope they come back today to hang it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the cats from scratching the tops of all my furniture (i.e. buffet, old sewing machine table, new handmade table from the farmer's market)? I usually keep everything piled with items to prevent them from jumping up on them in the first place, but I hate the cluttered look and feel of that method. All you cat people out there, do you just sacrifice your furniture for the love of the feline?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Balloons for a while might help. There are scents that supposedly help.

Good work on the progress!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Yay accomplishments. Come help ME unpack.

Good work!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Snap traps work too, but they can actually hurt the cat. You could wrap the bale in something soft. It scares the cats and after a couple times, they stay away, supposedly.

I assume they have "official" scratching posts?

BerryBird said...

We have always been lucky in having cats without a fondness for the destructive activities. You could clip their nails so they'd do less damage. It sounds horrid, but we cut R&R's today and it was fine. They are at that cute kitten phase where they like climbing legs, and I'm all torn up.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Yes, they have two store bought scratching posts, and they do use them. Nosey is prone to scratching the wood door frames, but it was really the inadvertent scratches done to top surfaces from jumping up and down that I was referring to. It seems like you can't have anything of value if you own cats.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Aieee.

I hopoe you can figure something out!

Your new banner looks pretty good! :-D

Cup said...

BTW, I like your revamped page.

Coffeypot said...

A ballbat works, maybe a golf club. Oh yeah, I like you new heading.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Thanks! I may still be messing with it some more. :-)

Electronic Goose said...

Yeah, we just let the furniture go ... Ruby has free reign. I've heard red pepper flakes work well, but not sure if that would stain.

kabbage said...

There are things called SoftPaws that you put on their nails. They glue on and gradually come off as the nail grows. See http://www.softpaws.com/ for more info.