Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Hack Job

It was bound to happen eventually. For close to six years I've been tempting fate by going to Super Cuts to get my hair cut two or three times a year. My hair is long and straight. You wouldn't think it be that hard to cut a couple inches off. And up until last night, no one has had a problem.

After the girl worked her way around my head from one side to the other, she made no attempt to pull the two front sections together to see if they were even. Standard operating procedure, right? Apparently not where she got her licence. She stepped back and asked if it looked OK. I'm not usually one to speak up in situations like that, but I did feel compelled to point out that the left side looked a bit longer than the right. Ha, ha. She laughed. "That always happens." Huhn? Are you kidding me? And off she went, snipping away. I was half tempted to tell her to nevermind. I felt like one of my old Barbie dolls when I kept trying to even out their hair and they ended up with a military style buzz cut. There's no way that she cut only 2 or 3 inches off.

Next time I start whining about my hair, remind me that I've decided to pay full price from now on and go to a real salon. Of course, it will be another 6 months at least before my hair is long enough to think about removing any of it. And by that time I may have forgotten my new found resolve...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes. It can be touch and go at places like that. I used to brave them in college. The nice salon I go to starts their new stylists out at like $20 per cut and their new people are usually really good, so sometimes I just scout out a new person and go to them.

I hope she didn't hack off too much!

BerryBird said...

Uh-oh. I guess I should consider that a word of warning. Getting haircuts is so traumatic to start with. The last I need to hear about is a bad one. And I'm getting so raggedy, too... I think I'm at 14 months.

Jenny F. Scientist said...

Eeek. My hairdresser just closed and I'm in mourning! I hope you find a good one to avoid traumatic repeats.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Part of the reason I've been going to this place where I never see the same person twice is that I tried a few places after moving back from Florida (where I had a great stylist) and never found anyone I liked.

BerryBird, I think you'd be OK going to a place like this. Just be very clear that you only want a trim and you're not willing to part with any length. I can't imagine you'd get too worked up if it was slightly uneven.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I solve the problem but just cuttring my own hair, always have--but then--I've never been as stylish as you. Sorry about the problem.

ANd the other problems.