Monday, May 28, 2007

Game. Set. Match.

I made a thrilling discovery this morning. I get the tennis channel. Who knew? I rarely stray into the numbers above 80 or so.

The French Open started yesterday. I've been watching tennis since the days of Johnny Mac and Connors, Martina and Steffi, when I was a little kid sitting on the floor keeping my dad company. I was hooked by Capriati when she came on the scene, only one month older than me. I discovered Sampras before he was big, before he'd won any majors, when he was still a goofy kid with his tongue sticking out. From the first match I saw him play, I cheered for only him. I wasn't a fan of Andre's until he shaved his head and started wearing white.

I never played much tennis. That takes too much effort and requires a hitting partner. I prefer activities I can do alone, like walking, rollerblading, or biking.

I am not as dedicated a watcher as I used to be. I don't like that the players are so much younger than me. I don't like that the game has become a slugfest. I miss the beauty and finesse of serve and volley. But when one of the grandslams rolls around I still like to watch as much as I can. And one day I hope to sit in the stands at Roland-Garros or the All England Lawn Tennis Club to cheer for the latest teenager to sweep the sport.

4 comments:

Not so little sister said...

I've never been much into tennis but we did go to the US Open a couple years ago. It was pretty neat, I have to admit. But playing requires more hand-eye ordination than I have.

Marni said...

I've never understood tennis... or golf... not enough "action" for me, I guess. :)

coffeypot said...

I, too, am drawn to activites I can do alone; like watching TV, sex, drinking beer and sleeping. I am an excellent sleeper. All I have to do is stop a...zzzzz.

Not so little sister said...

Hey! We just discovered we get the tennis channel too! Mr. LS was flipping through last night and found it.