Pages

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Two Things

I'm starting to get anxious about teaching on Monday. It's only 35-40 minutes of teaching, but I have two particular concerns:
  1. We're teaching grades K-6, which is quite a bit younger than the 7th-12th graders I'm used to. It's been almost 10 years since I worked with these age groups as a camp counselor, which was a different animal altogether.
  2. We will be video taped and probably miked. The video camera alone is enough to turn me into a fast-talking, sweaty individual, but having a microphone on my chest to catch my every last mutter and grumble makes me even more nervous.
I know I need to get used to the video camera, as that will become a familiar sight over the next several semesters. It's a little odd because I've always enjoyed having my picture taken, but a video camera pointed in my direction has always immobilized me. Any advice on how to get over that?

6 comments:

Smellyann said...

Oh, boy. I could give you the trite "pretend it's not even there" business, but you're smart enough to see right through that! ;) Are you able to practice with the video camera before the actual class, so you're already accustomed to it? Maybe you could set up at least a dummy one, if not. Good luck on Monday! I know you'll be great.

BerryBird said...

Just keep reminding yourself that no one will be watching the video, maybe that is some small comfort? And why twerpy kids? I thought you were going for a 7-12 certification?

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I have that same issue, I don't mind still cameras too much, but I guess I'm just not used to video cameras and then there si the sound thing.

AK. Good luck to you. Practicing with one until you get totally numb to it would help--we got one--wanna borrow it, LOL!

I'll shove it through the line.

I would think twerpies would be easier.

Smellyann said...

I have to say, when I sub-taught, the K-2 crowd was the absolute BEST. They are so sweet still, such babies. So easy to please and to be charmed by. Once they hit grades 3-5, the attitudes are already starting to come in, but those little ones, oh! I just adored them.

Coffeypot said...

Just concentrate on you teaching and you want know the camera is there. The class is what's important.

Electronic Goose said...

It might help, too, if you can position the camera so it's not dead center, maybe like coming out of a corner? I agree with coffeypot here. Good luck!