Pages

Friday, November 25, 2016

Good to Know

One of the side effects of the end of a marriage is the loss of family and friends (or people you thought were your friends). And holidays tend to emphasize that loss even more than the every day.

For me it was like day and night. One day I had a huge extended family of in-laws who hugged and kissed me and told me they loved me every time I saw them. Then my husband left me and that was it. Not a single one of his family members EVER asked me how I was doing. They never checked to see if I needed anything for myself OR the baby. Overnight I lost a whole network of people I had shared my life with for years.

Same thing with "our" friends. Only two of them reached out via text to check on me. One time each. And as for the woman I thought of as a close friend, nothing. Yes, she's my husband's best friend's wife, but he (the best friend) texted me NOT her.

All of these people basically just cut me out as if I'd never existed. Don't get me wrong, I would never in a million years expect them to side with me against him, but I don't see how them texting to ask how I am or express sympathy for the loss of our marriage would be too much to have hoped for.

To be clear he LEFT me. Ending our marriage was not a mutual decision.

But at least now I know who really cares about me. And who doesn't.

1 comment:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

That's pretty sucky. Downright succulous. Been there, done that, TWICE, only maybe it wasn't QUITE as bad, but pretty much. :(