Pages

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

My Neighborhood

I've had mixed feeling about my neighborhood over the years. It's a subdivision of small houses built in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The house styles are mostly raised ranches, split levels, and colonials. The houses tend to have three bedrooms and one or two baths. Both one and two car garages are standard.

The neighborhood also includes several streets of townhomes and an apartment complex.

There is a small, uninspired park down the hill from my house with a basketball court, a backstop, a small plastic playground, and swings. There are no sidewalks.

When I purchased the house from my parents I painted all the walls and had the family room level finished, including a full bath. I had most of the carpet replaced. When my husband moved in he renovated the kitchen with new appliances, new counter tops and back splash, some new cabinetry, and new linoleum flooring.

I used to feel restless, constantly looking at other houses for sale in the area, certain there was something better out there. And, of course, there are better houses in better neighborhoods. But this house is mine. Motherhood has, at least temporarily, cured me of much of my unsettled tendencies. I was always searching for something better, be it a job, career, house, etc. Now I just want more of what I already have. More time with my son.

My house is a good house for a small family. My neighborhood is a good neighborhood for kids. Neither the house nor the neighborhood are anything special, but they are comfortable and I am content with both.

How do you feel about your neighborhood?

2 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

The houses where I live are cute and pretty, and there are sidewalks, which is nice, but I really miss having natural areas nearby.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Yes, having natural areas nearby is huge. Something one could easily take for granted until it's no longer an option.